Need help? Call 0345 838 4074 Register Login

Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

When fulfilling your duties as a landlord, you will inevitably come into contact with your tenant's personal information, for example, their email addresses, passport number, etc. You will have a need to process that information when you do things such as keeping a copy of the tenancy agreement (that lists their personal information) or a copy of their passport to comply with right to rent legislation.

Under the Data Protection Act 2018, and the General Data Protection Regulation, most organisations that process personal information must register with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO).

There are some exemptions, but as a landlord, this is likely to apply to you.

How do I know if I need to register?

The ICO has a quick assessment guide to find out if you need to register.

If you do need to register, there might be a fee involved, which will vary depending on the size of the organisation and turnover.

The ICO has a fee-assessment tool to help you determine if you need to pay a fee.

More information

See the Information Commissioner's website for more details. The ICO also has a helpline for SMEs.

What is the law guide

The Desktop Lawyer law guide aims to present the law to you in a comprehensive yet jargon-free and easy-to-read format. Our law guide is constantly kept up to date with changes in business and family law by our team of in house solicitors, and includes information across all the legal jurisdictions in the UK.

Our law guide is free to use. Where we provide documents related to this area of law, or where they may help you with any legal issue in this area, they will be listed to the right of this message.

Explore law guide