Need help? Call 0345 838 4074 Register Login

Gas safety certificate

This section covers the legal requirement to provide a gas safety certificate when you set up a tenancy. For more about gas safety standards, see Gas safety.

You must make sure that an annual safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue, by a registered gas engineer. You must provide the gas safety certificate to the tenant.

The engineer must be registered with the Gas Safe Register. You can find Gas Safe registered engineers, or check that an engineer is registered at the Gas Safe website. All Gas Safe registered engineers will carry an ID card with their licence number and what they're qualified to do. You should always ask to see ID.

When to provide the gas safety certificate

A gas safety check must have been carried out within 12 months before the tenancy start date (or within 12 months of installation if the appliances have been installed for less than 12 months). You must carry out an annual check after that.

You must:

  • Give the tenant a copy of the latest gas safety certificate before the tenancy start date or if there is an annual check during the tenancy, within 28 days of the annual check.
  • Keep a record of each gas safety check for at least 2 years.

If you don't provide a gas safety certificate

Failure to maintain gas appliances may result in loss of life. You risk being prosecuted and could be fined for each offence.

In England for tenancies starting on or after 1 October 2015 failure to provide a gas safety certificate will mean that you cannot use the accelerated possession procedure.

What is the law guide

The Desktop Lawyer law guide aims to present the law to you in a comprehensive yet jargon-free and easy-to-read format. Our law guide is constantly kept up to date with changes in business and family law by our team of in house solicitors, and includes information across all the legal jurisdictions in the UK.

Our law guide is free to use. Where we provide documents related to this area of law, or where they may help you with any legal issue in this area, they will be listed to the right of this message.

Explore law guide

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Performance cookies

We'd like to set cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form. Data is only used in aggregate.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice.