Risks to look out for
As an employer, you must do a thoroughof your own working environment. This is a careful examination into what could cause harm to people in the workplace. Controlling potential danger at work involves recognising the problem, knowing enough about it, deciding what to do and putting the solutions into practice.
When you're carrying out your risk assessment, you should consider the following risks in the workplace and work to remove or reduce them as much as possible:
- What causes accidents, e.g. slips and trips, floors, contamination
- Computers and associated problems
- Electricity, gas and smoking
- Hazardous substances, such as biological agents, asbestos and dangerous substances and explosive atmospheres
- Manual handling
- Working at height
- Lifting equipment and lifting operations
Before carrying out your risk assessment, you should consult employees. They'll have more information on workplace hazards and can give you valuable advice for your risk assessment.