Need help? Call 0345 838 4074 Register Login

Rent and deposits

Collecting the rent

A tenancy agreement will normally cover what rent is due, when it should be paid and by what method. You may also be responsible for providing your tenant with a rent book at the start of the tenancy to record each rental payment. See Rent book.

Should your tenant fall into rent arrears, there are some important initial steps you must take. See Rent arrears. If initial action doesn't remedy the rent arrears, you may have to apply for a court order to regain possession of the property. The procedure to follow will depend on where the property is located.


When you take a deposit from a tenant, you must make sure that you are using a government-authorised tenancy deposit scheme. For information about how to register the tenancy deposit, see Registering the deposit.

Once the tenancy comes to an end, you must also be sure to follow the correct procedures in returning the deposit to your tenant. See Returning the tenancy deposit.

Rent reviews

It may become necessary to change the rent at some point during the tenancy. The way you can do this depends on whether the tenancy agreement or a separate agreement with the tenant covers rent reviews. If there's no such agreement, the procedure to follow will depend on the type of tenancy and where the property is located.

  • See England & Wales for procedures you can use for assured and assured shorthold tenancies
  • See Scotland for procedures you can use for private residential tenancies, assured tenancies and short assured tenancies
  • See Northern Ireland for the procedure for all residential tenancies

What is the law guide

The Desktop Lawyer law guide aims to present the law to you in a comprehensive yet jargon-free and easy-to-read format. Our law guide is constantly kept up to date with changes in business and family law by our team of in house solicitors, and includes information across all the legal jurisdictions in the UK.

Our law guide is free to use. Where we provide documents related to this area of law, or where they may help you with any legal issue in this area, they will be listed to the right of this message.

Explore law guide

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We would also like to set some optional cookies. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Please choose whether this site may use optional cookies by selecting 'On' or 'Off' for each category below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Cookie notice.

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Performance cookies

We'd like to set cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice. The cookies collect information in an anonymous form. Data is only used in aggregate.

Functionality cookies

We'd like to set cookies to provide you with a better customer experience. For more information on these cookies, please see our Cookie notice.